Meat/dairy industry

Discuss raising your own animals and livestock, and growing your own food
SnailLord
Level: Spark
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:33 am

Meat/dairy industry

Postby SnailLord » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 am

Animals in the meat and dairy industry are abused and killed every day so that we can enjoy things like icecream and hamburgers. Although I don't believe in vegans and/or vegiterians trying to force their lifestyle on omnivores, isn't it important for the consumer to know where their food comes from?
User avatar
Doge
Level: Ember
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Doge » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:31 pm

SnailLord wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 am
Animals in the meat and dairy industry are abused and killed every day so that we can enjoy things like icecream and hamburgers. Although I don't believe in vegans and/or vegiterians trying to force their lifestyle on omnivores, isn't it important for the consumer to know where their food comes from?
It's absolutely important. The rush rush rush mentality is making it so that people don't really care about things like this, when in reality the food that you consume is one of the most important considerations that you'll make in your life.
Park
Level: Ember
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Park » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm

SnailLord wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 am
Animals in the meat and dairy industry are abused and killed every day so that we can enjoy things like icecream and hamburgers. Although I don't believe in vegans and/or vegiterians trying to force their lifestyle on omnivores, isn't it important for the consumer to know where their food comes from?
Personally, I don't mind animals being killed for meat as long as they've had a chance to live first. Unfortunately this is almost never the case. Free range meat is hard to find, even at whole foods. The industry sucks.
Tom S
Level: Ember
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Tom S » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Park wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm
SnailLord wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 am
Animals in the meat and dairy industry are abused and killed every day so that we can enjoy things like icecream and hamburgers. Although I don't believe in vegans and/or vegiterians trying to force their lifestyle on omnivores, isn't it important for the consumer to know where their food comes from?
Personally, I don't mind animals being killed for meat as long as they've had a chance to live first. Unfortunately this is almost never the case. Free range meat is hard to find, even at whole foods. The industry sucks.
Yah of course you don't mind, because you're not the one being killed. Do you know what empathy is? Particularly empathy for other beings?
Park
Level: Ember
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Park » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:16 pm

Tom S wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:40 pm
Park wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:23 pm
SnailLord wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 am
Animals in the meat and dairy industry are abused and killed every day so that we can enjoy things like icecream and hamburgers. Although I don't believe in vegans and/or vegiterians trying to force their lifestyle on omnivores, isn't it important for the consumer to know where their food comes from?
Personally, I don't mind animals being killed for meat as long as they've had a chance to live first. Unfortunately this is almost never the case. Free range meat is hard to find, even at whole foods. The industry sucks.
Yah of course you don't mind, because you're not the one being killed. Do you know what empathy is? Particularly empathy for other beings?
Um, yeah. I know what empathy is. If I was lower on the food chain I'd be fine with being killed for meat :-) as long as I wasn't raised in a cage. If there's so much shame in being a carnivore, go troll a tiger.
User avatar
Manta
Level: Ember
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Manta » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 pm

As an independent farmer, I don't think the practice of raising animals for meat is bad. I personally raise my animals and produce all-organic and in a sustainable manner and I disagree with the practices of the meat and dairy industry, but I don't think it's anyone's place to tell someone else how they should live or what is acceptable in their lifestyle.
User avatar
Days off
Level: Ember
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Days off » Mon May 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Manta wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 pm
As an independent farmer, I don't think the practice of raising animals for meat is bad. I personally raise my animals and produce all-organic and in a sustainable manner and I disagree with the practices of the meat and dairy industry, but I don't think it's anyone's place to tell someone else how they should live or what is acceptable in their lifestyle.

It isn't anyone's place.....unless your "lifestyle" involves killing other beings. Human beings are inherently selfish, which is why people can view killing animals has merely a "lifestyle"
SnailLord
Level: Spark
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:33 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby SnailLord » Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 pm

I personally think eating meat is wrong, but I also understand that it is also wrong to try to force people to see it the way I do. Especially because going vegiterian might not be a healthy choice for everyone.
User avatar
Manta
Level: Ember
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Manta » Tue May 02, 2017 1:10 am

SnailLord wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 pm
I personally think eating meat is wrong, but I also understand that it is also wrong to try to force people to see it the way I do. Especially because going vegiterian might not be a healthy choice for everyone.
Exactly! Also, thank you so much for bringing up the fact that vegetarian isn't healthy for everyone. I had a friend you was allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and many varieties of fruits and vegetables. It wouldn't be possible for her to be vegetarian even if she wanted to.
Jen Russo
Level: Ember
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Jen Russo » Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Both lifestyles have their ups and downs. The truth of the matter is though, as a vegetarian, you'll live a longer, healthier life.
User avatar
Manta
Level: Ember
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Manta » Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

Jen Russo wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 2:57 pm
Both lifestyles have their ups and downs. The truth of the matter is though, as a vegetarian, you'll live a longer, healthier life.
What about vegetarians who are not eating all the necessary vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that their bodies require to sustain good health, are they living healthier lives?
SnailLord
Level: Spark
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:33 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby SnailLord » Fri May 05, 2017 3:54 am

I don't think most Americans are getting the proper nutrients, meat eater or otherwise. However consumers of meat do have higher risk of cancer and heart disease. Vegetarians are cold all the time and anemic, but I can't think of any diseases caused by being a vegetarian.
User avatar
Manta
Level: Ember
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Manta » Thu May 11, 2017 2:29 am

SnailLord wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:54 am
I don't think most Americans are getting the proper nutrients, meat eater or otherwise. However consumers of meat do have higher risk of cancer and heart disease. Vegetarians are cold all the time and anemic, but I can't think of any diseases caused by being a vegetarian.
I suppose, but vegetarians and vegans are more likely to be malnourished. Not undernourished, malnourished. This is due to lack of essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. even though they may be eating a lot of food.
Sunnyside
Level: Ember
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Sunnyside » Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 am

Manta wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:29 am
SnailLord wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:54 am
I don't think most Americans are getting the proper nutrients, meat eater or otherwise. However consumers of meat do have higher risk of cancer and heart disease. Vegetarians are cold all the time and anemic, but I can't think of any diseases caused by being a vegetarian.
I suppose, but vegetarians and vegans are more likely to be malnourished. Not undernourished, malnourished. This is due to lack of essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. even though they may be eating a lot of food.
I mean if I think back on all the times I've eaten with my vegetarian friends, I honestly don't remember any of them eating any type of variety......tofu, tofu, and more tofu.
User avatar
Manta
Level: Ember
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Manta » Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 am

Sunnyside wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 am
Manta wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:29 am
SnailLord wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 3:54 am
I don't think most Americans are getting the proper nutrients, meat eater or otherwise. However consumers of meat do have higher risk of cancer and heart disease. Vegetarians are cold all the time and anemic, but I can't think of any diseases caused by being a vegetarian.
I suppose, but vegetarians and vegans are more likely to be malnourished. Not undernourished, malnourished. This is due to lack of essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. even though they may be eating a lot of food.
I mean if I think back on all the times I've eaten with my vegetarian friends, I honestly don't remember any of them eating any type of variety......tofu, tofu, and more tofu.
I have to agree with this. It's either tofu, or another soy base, or rice and beans. It just seems so hard to stay interested in tofu and rice and beans.
esoteric
Level: Ember
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby esoteric » Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm

I sympathize with the vegetarian cause, but I could never have that type of diet and be happy.
SnailLord
Level: Spark
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:33 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby SnailLord » Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 am

esoteric wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 2:45 pm
I sympathize with the vegetarian cause, but I could never have that type of diet and be happy.
Thats exactly how I feel about being vegan. Ive been a vegiterian for over 10 years, but I can't do veganism. I tried, I lasted about a week and felt either stressed or depressed the entire time.
SnailLord
Level: Spark
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:33 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby SnailLord » Sat May 20, 2017 3:43 am

Manta wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 am
Sunnyside wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 4:26 am
Manta wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 2:29 am


I suppose, but vegetarians and vegans are more likely to be malnourished. Not undernourished, malnourished. This is due to lack of essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. even though they may be eating a lot of food.
I mean if I think back on all the times I've eaten with my vegetarian friends, I honestly don't remember any of them eating any type of variety......tofu, tofu, and more tofu.
I have to agree with this. It's either tofu, or another soy base, or rice and beans. It just seems so hard to stay interested in tofu and rice and beans.
Don't forget about lentils, Quinoa, and tempeh. I try not to eat to much tofu, (which is hard because it is genuinely my favorite food). As for beans there are a million different types of beans and just as many way to prepare them!
User avatar
Manta
Level: Ember
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 am

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby Manta » Sat May 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Didn't know about lentils or quinoa.
Isn't tempeh just another version of tofu?
freedomrings
Level: Ember
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Re: Meat/dairy industry

Postby freedomrings » Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Name or show me a truly healthy vegetarian please. I'll wait....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests